Local Tax


Your state or locality may impose a tax on your trip or fuel service. We expect all trip providers to familiarize themselves with and follow their local laws and regulations.


If you determine that you need to collect tax, you may either incorporate it into your base price, add it via additional fees, or ask your guests to pay it in person. In each case, it's important that guests are informed of the exact tax amount prior to booking.


We’re dedicated to keeping your personal information private—if at any point we’re required to share any information with your local government, you’ll be specifically notified of the needed disclosures.


US Federal Tax


To assist with US tax compliance, we collect taxpayer information from trip providers in order to provide an account of their earnings each year. Even if you’re not a US taxpayer, we may require certain information from you. 


Depending on which form you fill out, we’ll provide you with the appropriate tax form showing your annual US sourced earnings.  We are required by the IRS to report gross income on tax forms. For each reservation, the gross amount is the price agreed upon less credit card fees. Any refunds in the form of adjustments that took place after your initial payout for the reservation, are not netted out of the gross amount displayed on your form.


US persons may fill out a W-9 form. In January, we’ll trip providers who have submitted a W-9 with a 1099-K form showing their earnings from the previous year. The IRS definition of US persons includes domestic corporations. Learn more about US tax classifications.


Non-US persons who have a Taxpayer Identification Number (either a Social Security Number or Employer Identification Number) may fill out a W-8ECI form. We’ll provide trip providers who submit a W-8ECI with a 1042-S form showing any US sourced earnings that they have.


Non-US persons who do not have a Taxpayer Identification Number may fill out a W-8BEN form to certify that their Open Angler earnings are not subject to US tax. We'll provide trip providers who submit a W-8BEN with a 1042-S form showing any US sourced earnings that they have.


If you are unsure of which form to submit, we encourage you to consult a tax professional who can clarify your tax status. If you’ve received a request to submit your taxpayer information and haven’t yet provided it, we may be required to withhold a percentage of your earnings.


Find Your Perfect Trip